Thursday, September 30, 2010

Weekly Trading - 9/19 through 9/25

Yay for prerelease week. So Scars of Mirrodin is legal on the 1st of October and we just finished up the prerelease weekend. I signed up for the Saturday release because usually that's the biggest turnout. I filled up my binder as much as I could during the week in preperation. I know I said I would be posting more general theory on Magic and trading but I've been a little busy with other thing but I promise it is coming. Eventually.

Trade #1

So I've been trying to find foil Knight Exemplar's for a local at the shop and on draft Sunday was able to find one in a binder. I told him to look through my stuff for anything he would like and found a foil Island and Maelstrom Pulse. Well the foil Exemplar isn't worth that much to me so I kept looking. I asked him to value the STP and he placed at $3 so that was added in. By finding the random foils for regulars I become "That guy." who has everything and can get something specific for someone.


My (14.98)
  • 1x Island - ZEN #236 Foil - 4.99
  • 1x Maelstrom Pulse - 9.99
His (25.97)
  • 1x Sun Titan - 8.99
  • 1x Knight Exemplar - Foil - 8.99
  • 1x Swords to Plowshares - UNL - 7.99
Net (+10.99)

Trade #2

New people during draft days are always good to run into. They don't have a lot on them generally but also are usually casual players who only draft to pickup new cards. The guy's first words to me are something along the lines of "I don't think I have anything you want." Sometimes this is the case but if I can make something if anything work out then they walk away happy and the next time they pull something crazy in draft they are more likely to go to the guy who hooked them up in the first place.


My (2.98)
  • 1x Reverberate - 2.49
  • 1x Roil Elemental - .49
His (10.47)
  • 1x Sunpetal Grove - 3.49
  • 1x Dragonskull Summit - 3.99
  • 1x Brittle Effigy - 2.99
Net (+7.49)

Trade #3

Yes the Exemplar gets turned around to the guy who wanted it. I know Coralhelm Commander has been slowly growing in price because of Legacy fish. Whether or not they will be played in Standard is yet to be seen so I will continue to pick them up when I see them.


My (8.99)
  • 1x Knight Exemplar - Foil - 8.99
His (14.23)
  • 1x Coralhelm Commander - 4.49
  • 3x Sea Gate Oracle - .25
  • 1x Celestial Colonnade - Foil - 8.99
Net (+5.24)

Trade #4

Away with the Swords! Yeah they have been sitting in the binder since the Vaults came out and now people are trying to pick them up. I see their value falling soon but we'll see. I would rather have regulars in my binder to trade away then a Vault foil because of the process they go through. I don't understand why Wizards continues to mess with the foiling process in promotional sets. Look at the Elspeth vs Tezzeret foil process!


My (12.49)
  • 1x Sword of Body and Mind - FtV:R Foil - 12.49
His (27.47)
  • 1x Spreading Seas - Foil - 2.49
  • 1x Island - Unhinged Foil - 11.99
  • 1x Abyssal Persecutor - 12.99
Net (+14.98)

Trade #5

So a few guys around the shop are attempting to build a blue Fish deck for standard. Naturally Coralhelm Commander is one of the better lords to have in a merfolk deck so they were picked out of my binder pretty fast. Also the new MPR mailings came in, sadly I didn't hit enough tournaments to make the Day of Judgment level but I got the better of the 2 textless spells as far as trading them away goes. The trade was really for the Warren Instigator and Jace Beleren but I asked for the dragons and Tuktuk as throw ins.


My (13.97)
  • 2x Coralhelm Commander - 4.49
  • 1x Brave the Elements - Textless Promo - 4.99
His (14.47)
  • 1x Tuktuk the Explorer - .99
  • 1x Warren Instigator - 4.99
  • 2x Hoarding Dragon - .75
  • 1x Jace Beleren -6.99
Net (+0.50)

Trade #6

Prerelease day! Woot! One of the biggest days when it comes to trading because not only is there a ton of people but most of them are not locals and they don't come to nightly tournaments or FNMs. The story behind this trade is that a group of people came down from Kingman and Lake Havasu. Why? I have no idea but according to them there is barely any Magic near them. The only problem I noticed with these guys is that they have no real... I guess sense of patience. As I'm dealing with the kid below a bunch of others showed up and starting flipping through my binder. Now as I'm trying to be polite I'm keeping an eye on my binder and trying to close this deal below. I have no problems with people glancing at my binder while I'm trading but when one of the kids tried pulling out a card I had to ask him to wait until I was done and I think at that point they understood that I only will deal with one person at a time. Funny thing about the trade below was that he was adament about getting a uncommon back for the foil Cursecatcher. Some people.


My (13.20)
  • 1x Tainted Isle - .99
  • 1x Jhoira of the Ghitu - 2.49
  • 1x Horizon Canopy - 4.99
  • 1x Ancient Hellkite - .49
  • 1x Hellkite Overlord - 3.49
  • 1x Hoarding Dragon - .75
His (16.94)
  • 1x Merfolk Sovereign - .99
  • 1x Leyline of the Void - 1.99
  • 1x Ancient Ampitheater - .99
  • 1x Ethersworn Canonist - 2.99
  • 1x Gemstone Mine - 3.99
  • 1x Cursecatcher - Foil - 5.99
Net (+3.74)

Trade #7

Apprently they don't get MPR up there either. This guy had no idea they even made Terminate and Unmake in textless. Don't ask me. He wasn't so sure about the trade because I seem to be getting more as far as rarity was concerned until I threw the Canonist into the pile. It was almost an immediate "Yes." Not to mention the kid had vampire nails... what do they do out there? Sheesh.


My (20.21)
  • 1x Lightning Bolt - Textless Foil - 10.99
  • 1x Vault of Whispers - .75
  • 1x Terminate - Textless Promo - 2.99
  • 1x Unmake - Textless Promo - 2.49
  • 1x Ethersworn Canonist - 2.99
His (38.44)
  • 1x Ajani Goldmane - 6.99
  • 1x Phylactery Lich - 5.99
  • 2x Steel Overseer - 7.99
  • 2x Thirst for Knowledge - 1.25
  • 2x Everflowing Chalice - .99
  • 1x Mishra's Factory - 5.99
Net (+18.23)

Trade #8

This trade still kind of irks me. The tournament was about to start so we were clearing the tables and this guy had been watching me trade for a bit. So he went through and pulled out the cards he wanted. From looking at the cards on the table I knew I was losing out on the deal but there were a bunch of people around watching the trade go down. So to save face and show the others I was easy to deal with I told the guy that it was fine and scooped up the cards. By this point I had a stack of newly acquired cards to throw into the binder and we were off to starting the tournament.


My (25.47)
  • 1x Day of Judgment - 4.49
  • 1x Goblin Guide - 6.99
  • 1x Cryptic Command - 13.99
His (22.71)
  • 1x Merfolk Sovereign - Foil - 1.49
  • 1x Ancient Tomb - 6.99
  • 1x Thada Adel, Acquisitor - 1.25
  • 1x Obstinate Baloth - 7.99
  • 1x Flooded Grove - 4.99
Net (-2.76)

Trade #9

Now this trade made me feel better about my skills as a trader. A local player knew I had a few Baneslayers for trade so he attempted to get them from me. At first he offered me 3 Gideons straight up for the Baneslayers but I told him I'd rather break the 3rd Gideon into smaller cards. He aggreed to that so I came out with the following trade and went on happily with my day.


My (49.98)
  • 2x Baneslayer Angel - 24.99
His (74.95)
  • 2x Gideon Jura - 26.99
  • 2x Stoneforge Mystic - 6.99
  • 1x Goblin Guide - 6.99
Net (+24.97)

Trade #10

After the tournament I stuck around to trade with those who had stayed and wanted to trade some Scars cards. My sealed pool had offered me some good trade fodder in things like Tempered Steel and Grand Architect. I like the Arbiter and I think it will go up more then some other rares from Scars.


My (3.49)
  • 1x Tempered Steel - 3.49
His (3.49)
  • 1x Leonin Arbiter - 3.49
Net (0.00)

Trade #11

Oh right I had a Steel Hellkite too. So again that fish deck came up during trades and someone wanted both my Architect and Hellkite. I needed to refill on  some staple cards so I picked up Jace ( You can never have too many Jeffs. ) and some Extended staples.


My (7.48)
  • 1x Grand Architect - 4.99
  • 1x Steel Hellkite - 2.49
His (31.47)
  • 1x Jace Beleren - 7.49
  • 1x Noble Hierarch - 13.99
  • 1x Knight of the Reliquery - 9.99
Net (+23.99)

Trade #12

A trade with my friend B. Page. I see the Titans possibly coming down after rotation and Stoneforges have slowly been gaining value over the past couple of days. Even though I lost value on paper I think I can turn the Stoneforges into much much more soon. He told me he needs to stop picking up Titans but I think this might be the 3rd or 4th he's gotten from me. Thanks buddy!


My (8.99)
  • 1x Inferno Titan - 8.99
His (6.99)
  • 1x Stoneforge Mystic - 6.99
Net (-2.00)

So that's all for this week. Hopefully Scars brings a new level of value to my binder. Until next time, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment